Kingston University School Direct
2VLZ - School Direct Training programme with Kingston University
The School Direct Training programme is highly competitive and it is important that you meet all criteria. In line with our provider Kingston University our entry requirements are:
- A 2:2 (or above) UK undergraduate degree or a recognised equivalent qualification
- A GCSE grade C or above in English, Mathematics and Science.
- If you studied outside of the UK, you should visit the National Academic Recognition Centre (NARIC) website to find out whether your qualifications are of an equivalent level to UK GCSEs, A levels and an undergraduate degree.
- All candidates applying for initial teacher training (ITT) are required to have passed the literacy and numeracy professional skills before starting teacher training. For further guidance on the professional skills tests please click here.
Practical Experience, Skills and Aptitude
The School Direct (non-salaried) Training Programme focuses on developing teaching skills. You should have a strong understanding of the area in which you wish to teach before you start training.
The skills and aptitudes that we expect from candidates are:
- Very high standards of written and spoken English
- Strong standards in Numeracy
- Strong standards in ICT
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience of working with learners with special educational needs and disabilities
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to manage one's workload and time effectively
What We Are Looking For
When applying for School Direct places with MSTA, ensure that you take every opportunity to demonstrate your understanding of the challenges and opportunities associated with the realities of teaching, as well as your enthusiasm for using your creative and intellectual skills in the classroom. You should include examples of any experience you have of working with young people with special educational needs - perhaps as a teaching assistant, youth worker, or volunteer in a school. If you don't have such experience we strongly recommend that you address this before submitting your application.
You must also complete your application in such a way as to:
- Emphasise the relevance of your previous work and/or studies for the course
- Provide evidence of your social and communication skills
- Organise your information so that it is clear and easily accessible for the reader.
- Ahead of completing your personal statement, you should to familiarise yourself with the schools within the MSTA and Kingston University PGCE Course by researching our individual websites and connecting links.
We will look for applicants who can demonstrate a real passion and commitment, not only to teaching, but also to working with a special educational needs setting. Please consider how you can provide relevant examples of this in your personal statement.
Perseid School is the lead school in the partnership and will be coordinating the recruitment process for the School Direct (non-salaried) Training Programme.
The interview day will involve an interview at Perseid School and will include a tour of the school, classroom observation on set criteria, interviews and tests. Our university partner, Kingston University, will be involved throughout the day and will have an equal say in selection.